Clare
Clare, Solicitor
Experience:  family solictor with 25 years experience
13262538

Thanks I have the following question; I got married in the

Customer Question

Thanks I have the following question; I got married in the UK to a Colombian National in 1993. We divorced in Colombia in 2002 and I need to make sure that divorce is valid in the UK. I am planning to get married again in Jan 2016 and wouldn't want any surprises once I give notice for marriage
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Hi

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you.

Were either of you in Columbia at the time of the divorce - and were you both aware of the proceedings?

Clare

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, yes we were both living in Colombia at the time and aware of the proceedings. Do i need to register that divorce here in the UK or it is valid here as it is in Colombia? Thanks. Patricia
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Hi Patricia

The good news is that you need do nothing more - except get an Official Translation of the Final Decree - your Columbian

Divorce is recognised here in the Uk and there is no need (and indeed no process) for it to be Registered here

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details

Clare