Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

2 police officers are suggesting I was using threatening

Customer Question

2 police officers are suggesting I was using threatening behavior outside a pub they have not used cctv and are saying different things I have 3 witnesses who say I weren't ..is the word of the officers enough to convict?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

What is their allegation? I'm just about to travel to court but I can pick up later if that is ok.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was after a football match though a mile away I have previous convictions for affray at a game however this time I am 100 % not guilty.I was not arrested till 4 weeks later 1 officer made his statement 3 weeks later he says he found me in a pub with 10 others this is not true he spoke to me further down the road and then I reassured I went in .He says we were on our phones supposedly conspiring to others to attack the away supporters ,I have proof I hadn't used my phone in 6 hours.I didn't drink any alcohol in the time I was there ,at some point 40 men entered the back door and the police used force to evict them several locals and myself went outside to see what what was going on and the police formed a line between the two groups ,the PC says I went into the middle of the road with hands outstretched shouting 'come on then let's ave it' and swearing and gesturing he claims I stood in front of him 3 metres away and was being aggressive ..this is not true I'm not that stupid ..the other police man says a guy came over to us and was threatening us and that I moved towards him swearing puffing my chest out etc the banter is complete pantomime ..a further 20 police turned up for an incident that took a minute with no violence at all ...it is said I wasn't arrested as there was not enough police to deal with further disorder this is rubbish and the police were shaking my hand as I sat down to eat my dinner ..They are using me as an example to others as I have previous ..no one else was arrested or either named in the statements ,I have 4 witnesses on my side.I go to court next week
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

OK. I'm not sure what you wanted to know about this. The question you asked was whether the evidence of two police officers was enough to convict and the answer is that it is . The evidence of one officer is enough.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Many people are convicted on that basis alone. Whether or not these officers are credible is another matter but the truth is that Magistrates do tend to believe police officers over defendants although not always. They have a reputation for being a convicting tribunal.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

If you dispute behaving aggressively then that will have to be your defence and the Magistrates will accept or reject it. It is impossible to tell which but it is certainly right Im afraid to say that they could convict.

Sorry if that is bad news.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo