Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate
Experience:  Award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
27487359

My neighbours conifers at least 13ft gh and a good 10ft

Customer Question

My neighbours conifers at least 13ft high and a good 10ft thick and completely blocks the sun and this time of year we have hardly any at all . They also have a massive tree in the middle of the garden which affects the sun and light as well plus all the mess we get from the tree.i have lived here for 18 yrs and have had confrontations with them over the trees but they refuse to do anything . Our lawn has got smaller and smaller wer we have given up returning and reseeding a lot of it now has been patioed never ever have been able to grow anything , they make my garden look smaller and enclosed I'm sure it would look a lot brighter if the trees were not there please can you advice me I really need something done about them and by the way they are not very nice neighbours at all
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.

Firstly the law permits you to lop off any branches which overhang your property, as technically this constitutes a trespass. In theory you should then throw the branches back to your neighbour. The Local Authority could also potentially consider the trees to be an act of anti social behaviour. In accordance with Part 8 of the Anti-Social Behaviour Act 2003, a hedge is defined as ‘two or more evergreen or semi-evergreen trees or shrubs standing in a line, at a height of over two metres above ground level.’

Any owner/occupier of a residential property affected by a hedge can complain to their local Council, providing that they meet the following criteria:

• It is an evergreen or semi-evergreen hedge of two or more trees or shrubs standing in a row
  • The hedge is over two metres high
  • The neighbours have tried to solve the matter amicably

I hope that this helps. Please rate positively - thanks

Please remember to rate positively - thanks