Buachaill
Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I would like to take out an injunction. Is that possible?

Customer Question

I would like to take out an injunction for slander. Is that possible?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

1. It is perfectly possible to take out an injunction to prevent slander. However, the threshhold for getting an injunction for slander is higher than for other forms of defamation as any claim of truth or justification will defeat any attempt to get an injunction for slander. So too, does any claim of public interest. Additionally, the European Convention on Human Rights protection of free speech means that there must be some clear interest in restraining dissemination of free speech on the basis of a cause of action in slander. So whilst getting an injunction is possible, you must be able to show a clear cause of action.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can a letter of warning be written?
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

2. Of course a letter of warning can be written. I would advise you to get a solicitor who will act on your behalf in the case and who has experience in defamation law. They can write a letter before action and if necessary, hire a barrister to draft proceedings.