Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I have a warrant of arrest council tax from a few years ago.

Customer Question

I have a warrant of arrest for unpaid council tax from a few years ago. I lived in the property with my ex but I seem to be the only one they are after even though I have paid a significant amount and he hasnt
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

What would you like to know about this please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What leg do I have to stand on in such a case have been to court once was ordered to pay £250 a month which I paid at least once but struggled as I am a single parent when I contacted the court to inform them of my struggles i was having as I only work agency work which can be seasonal you are not guaranteed work basically , I was told I just have to pay it or face a jail term that was last year around August! Now I have a warrant of arrest and I am due in court tomorrow. I have paid quite an amount even before the court last year and my ex husband has not paid anything and they don't seem to bother about chasing him for his contribution they are demanding that I pay all of it! I feel discriminated against as the weakest link !
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Was he living at the address at the relevant time?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he was
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Was the liability order made against him as well?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it had both our names o
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

The difficulty you have with this is that liability orders are jointly and separate liability. Therefore they have a claim for the full amount against you and you are the person pursued. There is no way around that.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

The order was jointly made against him but probably they have chosen to pursue you because they can find you rather than him.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

They don't have to behave fairly. They just have to be within the law.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

In principle you could sue him for his share of the council tax but only if you have to pay out upon the order.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

That doesn't give you a defence to the matter tomorrow though.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

It does give you mitigation.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

All they will do is set down a new repayment schedule unless you refuse to pay point blank.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am getting confused here all the questions you keep asking me are all in the information I gave you a lot earlier and I expected to get some sensible response that shows someone has at least read my query ! After paying £47 I am beginning to doubt this service
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Good luck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is mitigation
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What can happen to me if I refuse to pay?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

You can go to prison. This is non payment of council tax. I'm happy to continue with this but please rate my answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No problem, I will do that .Do I have a right to ask them why the bill is not going down even though I have paid more than half since this started
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

C

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Costs I would imagine. Has it reached bailiffs?