Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I have been charged with assault on my parents neighbours..

Customer Question

I have been charged with assault on my parents neighbours.. I was on the bus when this happened witch they were on also.. I sat behind them .. I heard them talking about me .. The male neighbour.. Said I stank of shite ect.. So I lost it and slapped the back of his head .. He stood up & turned round wee started arguing.. Then his mum went for me.. As this happens I responded back .. Then both of them grabbed ma hair & started punishing & slapping me aswell.. I fought back.. But could not see what I was doing as my head was down as a result of them both pulling my hair.. I must have hit her as she was bleeding but couldn't see where from only know it was somewhere on her face.. The police said it was serious cause she is elderly.. .. I was not questioned .. Hopefully the bus cameras will show this.. Never been in trouble with police.. Please help.. As I don't have a witness..
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

What would you like to know about this ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will I go to jail..
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Are you charged with common assault or ABH?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Common assault.. On Both of them
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Did they have any injuries? What were they?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She was bleeding on her face but don't know where..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could not see any injuries.. Police said she was bleeding..
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

It is probably too serious for a caution because she is elderly but you won't go to prison if this is a first offence.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

I would expect a community order of some level. It is probably high level.

Even if they think custody is inevitable they would have to justify not suspending it which is hard to do in the circumstances.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will I get a fine also.. If so how much roughly
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Not in addition to the community order. It is too serious for a fine alone. There will probably be compensation though commensurate with the injuries, costs of £85, the Court charge of £180 and the victim surcharge.