Clare
Clare, Solicitor
Experience:  family solictor with 25 years experience
13262538

Can I sue a neighbour their cat caused to my cats (ie vets

Customer Question

Can I sue a neighbour for damage their cat caused to my cats (ie vets bills) and damage to my home (ie urine)?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.

Strictly speaking you can. It is their responsibility to look after and ensure that their cat does not stray into your property. You should write to them first and put them on notice of what you seek. If it can not be agreed then you can bring a claim in the small claims court. You may also wish to consider whether your insurance will deal with it. Please remember to rate positively - thanks

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Hi

Thank you for your question

Sadly my colleague is not correct

Your neighbours are not responsible for the actions of their cat

They cannot be held responsible for trespass - or for any damage done

Please ask if you need further details

Clare

This is terribly awkward because my colleague is the one who is actually wrong. I am sorry for this. As I stated previously whilst this is a complex area of the law but generally cat owners owe a duty of care towards others not to cause injury or damage. It is a common law duty and whilst cats are excluded from the Animals Act 1971 which talks about animals roaming and the question of trespass (in that regard my colleague is correct and perhaps that led to her confusion), it does not prevent the owners from having a general duty of care. The law generally makes the owner or ‘responsible person’, ie, the keeper, the person responsible for any cat damage, who may need to pay the costs of any damage caused. There are lots of articles on the topic if you want to get a second or indeed in this case third opinion. I hope that helps.

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

http://eprints.lincoln.ac.uk/12673/1/Research%20Report%20Cats%20and%20the%20Law%2020%20November%202013.pdf

Page 36