JG_Legal
JG_Legal, Barrister
Experience:  Experience of consumer law, financial regulation and criminal law.
79731440

Cows keep going through to next doors land but its s

Customer Question

cows keep going through to next doors land but its his boundery fence to look after?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  JG_Legal replied 1 year ago.

Under the Animals Act 1971 you are liable for damage done to neighbouring land by your straying cattle. This is the basic position.

However, under Section 5 (6) of the Act if the person whose land has suffered the damage was obliged to fence the boundary AND the cows came onto his land because he did not maintain the fence then you do not owe damages. It is essentially his fault.

I hope this answers your question but if you require further clarification please ask.

Expert:  JG_Legal replied 1 year ago.

I this answered your question please accept my answer. If not, please feel free to ask for further clarification.

Expert:  JG_Legal replied 1 year ago.

If I have answered your question please accept my answer. If not, please feel free to ask for further clarification.