Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Jo, I am going to court in two weeks time. Never have any

Customer Question

Hi Jo , I am going to court in two weeks time for shoplifting. Never have any problems with police before or face the court. The amount of stolen goods are £465.
I am worried about what will happen in court. Any advice from you please
Category: UK Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I get a free solicitor, or should I represent my self.
Wath the court verdict can be?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Did they recover the goods in saleable condition?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all goods have been recovered in saleable conditions, and we pay £250 to the shop for the inconvenience.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

You will be fined or given a conditional discharge. There will be costs of £85 and a court charge of £180. You shouldn't have to pay compensation as there was no loss. If you have already paid the civil recovery notice then make sure you tell the court. If you have not then it is unenforceable so should refuse. The duty solicitor will be perfectly fine to deal with this. There is an outside chance of a supervision order but not likely on these facts. Can I ckarify anything for you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How should I plead, because when I was arrested I have said "it was a mistake" geting the goods in my bag instead of the basket where I got some other goods wich I payd for at the till.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Well, do deny stealing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I deny stealing. I never admitted that I intended to take any goods without paying them.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

How did they come to be secreted in your bag?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My shopping basket was full up and I used an empty plastic bag wich I had with me for more shopping intendet to pay all at the till but when I got to the till I have paid the goods from the basket and I forgot about the goods from the bag.I left the store and outside police stopped me and acused me for shoplifting and they sent me to court.In this case can I plea not guilty in the court, because what happened it was a genuine mistake ?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

You can. Nobody can make you plead guilty and that does amount to a defence. Whether it would succeed or not is another matter.