Clare
Clare, Solicitor
Experience:  family solictor with 25 years experience
13262538

My husband is not being allowed to return home to the U.S.

Customer Question

My husband is not being allowed to return home to the U.S. because he has barrister fees due of $3000. He brought in $100,000 into the U.K., and was accused of Money Laundering and Anti-Terrorism. He has cleared that up and $26,000 and six months later, he wants to come home. He was sick in the hospital, and paid the fees. We can not afford to bring him home as the fees keep rising. He does not have a charge card. He has the money here in the U.S. and the U.K. is holding the $100,000. But, now a Barrister is demanding he pay the $3000 before he is allowed to come home. Is there no way my husband can come home and wire the Barrister the money upon returning home when he has access to his bank. I do not have access to his account and do not have $3000.
Category: UK Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My husband has air tickets for Friday to fly home, and the Barrister won't let me go unless he pays $3000. He was totally cleared of fees until the Barrister sent him these two Certificates he says he needs to return home. They look bogus to me. One is a Certificate from UN entitled Anti-Money Laundering and the other Anti-Terrorist Certificate. They won't release his $100,000 unless he pays the money. What is this. He has money in a private account at home, but can't get to it unless he is home. We are stuck. I don't have $3000 sitting around for him. I suggested a Promissory Note...the Barrister won't let my husband fly home. Is this right?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Barrister's name is***@******.***. I sent a letter requesting lenancy, but I haven't received a response. This entire situation was bogus. My husband was travelling to a conference to make a presentation and thought he could purchase some expensive drilling equipment at the conference. His money was held, his passport taken, and ended up in the hospital due to the stress. A total debacle. And, $26,000 in hospital and legal fees plus fees for the security company holding the $100,000. A terrible mistake, and he still can't come home. I thought perhaps the US Embassy could help, I don't know what else to do. All they have to do, is release the legal fees and he can pay them on Monday. They say no.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been wiring the fees thru an agent named, Dale Karsky, Aberdeen, SD. Supposedly this man is accepting the fees for the hospital. I am leary. I have wired approx. $25,000. And, now they want another $3000. This just seems unacceptable to me. Something smells rotten in Denmark?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can provide copies of the Certificates the Barrister wants $3000 for. Also I was given a certificate from the Safe Security Company that is holding the $100,000. It has my husband's name on it and the fee of $5,000. I paid the $5,000 on August 12th, then they asked for another $1800 for holding it longer. What is going on, fee, after fee. If they just released him to fly home, he could take care of the fees. He did not know there was a new law not allowing people to take over $10,000 into a country. He has been at the airport and hospital for six months, not allowed to go into or out of the country because they are holding his passport.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What a mess.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Hi

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you

When you say husband can you confirm when and where you physically met?

Clare

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Attorney Clare, You are wrong about this. My husband is indeed my husband/partner. I am well aware of the problems with online scams. I just received a request from someone I have never met asking for money. I just ignore these, of course. But, you are accusing me of not providing correct and viable information. What I included in my answer was 100% truthful. So your information was not helpful at all. And, Barrister Hoose is an immigration barrister in London.Second, after being online with this site, my bank called me this morning for FRAUD Protection. It seems Just Answer hit my bank for 15 charges of 54$. No, no, no. I told them this was not the agreement, so they cancelled the payment.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

I am glad you are aware of the problems

However I am sorry but some of the information that you are giving me is simply not realistic.

No Barrister could prevent anyone from leaving the country - that is the prerogative of the State

There is no Barrister called Kenneth Hoose listed on the Bar directory so he is not a practising barrister - and his email

address is bizarre

The two certificates you considered to be bogus are indeed bogus - they simply do not exist

Equally IF any money had been confiscated it would not be be being held by a security company.

If I am mistaken and you have indeed met your husband then clearly he is in some difficulty and you shoudl report the matter

to the US embassy as a matter of urgency

Clare