Alex J.
Alex J., Litigator
Experience:  LLB, LPC, DELF
13113900

My sonis currently a goalkeeper in the United States,

Customer Question

My sonis currently a goalkeeper in the United States, playing for a Division 1 college program. he is a two year starter and has played every mintue the last two years. He also has played in World Cup, and Olympic Qualifiers for Puerto Rico.
He meets the 75% match rule, and Puerto Rico is currently ranked 150 FIFA.
A Scottish Premier League team has approached us and wants to sign him. He was born in the United States.
Is this an uphill battle for him?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you - for a Sports Person there is an "Exceptional Talent" Visa that can be applied for - https://www.gov.uk/tier-2-sportsperson-worker-visa - please see this link for further information. It would be up to the club concerned to endorse this and plead his case to the UK Border Agency to confirm his status as a sports person with Exceptional Talent. I would not say it is an uphill battle, but it is slightly less straight forward, it is not unheard of either and their are currently numerous players in Scotland and England who have qualified for this type of Visa. I look forward to hearing from you. Kind regards AJ