Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

Can my employer stop me having unpaid leave to attend

Customer Question

Can my employer stop me having unpaid leave to attend training for a new job?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. What is the reason for you leaving - is it redundancy?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No just new job.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

There is unfortunately no legal right to be allowed time off from a current job in order to undertake training for a new job. You are contracted to your current employer and would be expected to work the contracted hours you are bound by. If you want to take unpaid time off work then that is something that can only happen with the employer's consent. They are entirely within their right to refuse to allow you to take time off work, whether as holidays or unpaid leave. So the only ways to take time off from your current job are:

• As holidays, but only if the employer approves the time off
  • As unpaid time off, but again it can only happen with the employer's consent
  • As sick leave, if you can show that you are genuinely sick and can provide the necessary evidence
  • By leaving your current job early, although if you fail to work your notice period then that could amount to breach of contract.

I'm sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you were hoping for, however I do have a duty to be honest and explain the law as it actually stands. This does mean delivering bad news from time to time. I hope you understand and would be happy to provide any further clarification if needed. If you are still satisfied with the level of service you have received I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? If your query has been dealt with please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. If you need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you.