Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Experience:  30 years experience in business law and related topics such as employment law
18726264

Illigitimate Brazilian boy. Father is English. Needs to be a

Customer Question

Illigitimate Brazilian boy. Father is English. Needs to be a Brit: citizen in order to get a passport.
DNA has been done as proof. Boy is now 20yrs. He has been to France and UK on his Brazilian passport and wants an Enlish passport. He was born in Rio. His Father was visiting his English Father( who has lived in Rio gor many years,)at the time of Conception. Boy 'sFather was also born in Rio 1959. Boy's Grandmother lives in England. His English Uncle lives in Rio as does his. The.Mother. Please could you let me know where,how to start. Thanks Grandmother.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your question. If the boys father was born out of the UK then I am afraid he is not eligible for a British passport. Citizenship by decent can only be passed one generation. As the boy's father was born in Rio he would have been a British citizen by descent not by birth ( which requires birth here) In order to be entitled to a British passport his father would have to have been born in the UK ( or his mother ).

I am sorry if that is not the answer you wanted but he has no right to a British passport and could only acquire one by residence in the UK the same as any other foreign national. His English ancestry give him no extra citizenship rights.