Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I have a bike on finace, it was stolen early in the week, I

Customer Question

hi - I have a bike on finace, it was stolen early in the week, I told my insurance company and they told me the insurance ran out on the 2nd of this month - I assumed they would continue my cover if I didn't tell them otherwise
do I have any leg to stand on ?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Do you deny that the insurance expired?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was not aware
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you still there?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I'm here.

Did the insurance expire?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
on the 2nd of this month
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the bike was stolen on the 23rd of this month
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am concenred if I tell the finance company they will make me pay the full value right away ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i simply do not have this type of ' free cash ' available
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

I'm not sure what your question is about this?

If your insurance did expire then you are not covered. There is no way around it.

If you had specifically instructed them to extend cover and they did not then there might be an argument that they performed the contract in a negligent way.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

You don't seem to be saying that you did that though.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Even if you did they could argue that you should have noticed the money wasn't removed from your account although that is a little unrealistic.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

In terms of the finance company, it depends what type of arrangement you have with them.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

However, if this is a standard HP then you are perfectly entitled to carry on paying monthly. Until you default upon payment you are free to do that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
correct, i wasn't made aware the insurance was due to expire - i assumed it would just automatically renew
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

I'm afraid automatic renewals don't happen anymore. Consumer watchdog associations complained about them and they were criticised by the OFT.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok cool, that helps ..... do i need to tell them the bike has been stolen?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

The finance? It depends on your contract but I would tell them. Apart from anything else they may have their own internal insurance that you can rely upon.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok cool, thanks for the advice, i will let them know ....... i was concerned i would be hit with a big bill
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/