Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate
Experience:  Award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
27487359

I have a question about sharing the mortgage with my

Customer Question

Hi, I have a question about sharing the mortgage with my girlfriend. She currently owns the property, approx. value £725K, we have been living together 2 years I have invested £25K into the property already, but we have nothing legally documented and all in her name.
The outstanding mortgage is £330k, when she remortgages I want to invest and pay half the mortgage, unfortunately due to previous financial difficulties we cannot get a joint mortgage.
Is there a way to get a legal document put together to legally detail share going in, and how the % shares would work going forward. For example if property sold, we move, or worst case we separate. As all seems bit complicate to work out
Thanks
Thanks
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.

This is actually very straightforward - you need a deed or declaration of trust which can set out the shares that you both hold in the property - this will allow your girlfriend to be the legal owner of the property but for you to have something called an equitable interest (share) of the property. A solicitor would be able to draft such a deed for about £100-200. I hope that this helps. Please remember to rate positively for me - thanks

I hope that helps - please remember to rate positively - thanks