Buachaill
Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I own the lease on a public house the lease includes

Customer Question

Hi I own the lease on a public house the lease includes fixtures and fittings I am behind with V A T they have said they will remove goods where do I stand. Many thanks Tim
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. Dear *****, at the outset, if the bailiffs come, they cannot take third party property, such as your landlord's fixtures & fittings to satisfy a VAT demand owed by you. The bailiffs are limited to taking property that you own. So, if the bailiffs turn up and attempt to seize the fixtures and fittings, you need to have a copy of the lease to hand, so that you can show the bailiffs that you don't actually own this property. You only lease the fixtures & fittings from the landlord. Inform your staff as well, so they know the position and will alert any bailiff which shows up. By law, bailiffs are under an obligation to take only the debtor's property. So, you just need to ensure that they are clear you don't own the fixtures & fittings.