Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I have been very stupid,I have stolen some money from my

Customer Question

Hi. I have been very stupid,I have stolen some money from my work. An unrelated situation is being investigated tomorrow and the investigation is sure to bring up what I have done. I stand to lose everything and I'm going crazy.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
How can I help with this please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like to know if convicted what will happen. The amount is about £300. I have never done anything like this at all. And I will pay the money back if asked.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
What is your position in the company and what does your employer do please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm an assistant manager in a pub! I know I will lose my Job for sure. It's very unlikely it will not be noticed
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Is this just dipping into the till?
Was it on one occasion or several?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Whenever a customer gave the right change for a drink I wouldn't ring it on the till I would just press no sale and I would keep the money. Therefore over time making our stock at a loss..which is what's going to be investigated. I can't be seen on cctv because there isn't any on the till I use, but every transaction is saved.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
How long did this go on for ? Roughly?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A few times a week over the space of 4 months or so. Only minimum amounts at a time but it all adds up
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
It is theft from employer and that is a hugely aggravating feature of the offence of theft because of the breach of trust.
That said, it is not the biggest sum and the level of trust reposed in you was not enormous. Your employers are not vulnerable and this wasn't particularly sophisticated.
It is possible that they would just give you a police caution if you admit the offence. I have seen much higher amounts lead to a caution.
I wouldn't rely on that though. Proceed on the basis that they will charge. I would expect a fine at court. There will also be costs, the surcharge and the court charge.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can it be more than a caution? I've never done anything like this before and I really don't know why I did at all! Ive put alot at risk but I will accept the consequences. Won't paying back the amount I took be enough? I really don't have much money at all.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
it can as I said.
I would proceed on the basis that it will be.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I could go to prison you mean?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
you could.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay thank you for your help. I guess I will see what happens
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
I wouldn't admit to anything. Wait to see what they can prove.
Please remember to rate my answer.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jomo1972’.