Buachaill
Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

We had a licence year to operate a unit in a craft centre

Customer Question

We had a licence for 1 year to operate a unit in a craft centre which expired in April this year. We did not sign the new licence the landlord provided us. No notice period was specified in the original licence and the landlord is still taking rent at monthly intervals. We now wish to vacate the premises, how much notice do we have to give?
Category: UK Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this was asked over two days ago, can I get my money back?
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

1. YOu merely have to give one month's notice to the landlord as this is a licence from month to month since the expiry of the initial 12 month term. As it is a licence, the rules applying to tenancies have no application. It is simply the common law rule applying to a month to month licence. So one months notice to determine the licence is sufficient.