Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

Ok..in a nutshell...I would like your opinion on whether it

Customer Question

Ok..in a nutshell...I would like your opinion on whether it is lawful for a paramedic to seize lawfully prescribed medications from a person's dwelling without the patient or prescibers consent??
Category: UK Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi I'm just going for my lunch.....I would like to continue with some questions in a couple of hours or so. Thank You
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
What were the grounds of seizure?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi JoFirstly for some background my girlfriend is a qualified nurse and nurse prescriber, here in the UK, giving her the right to prescribe her patients meds, which she will do from time to time in her aesthetic beauty practise which is attached to her house. Typically she administers Botox to her patients, which she first prescibes to them, but occasionally she will prescribe other types of meds which she is allowed to do in the course of her work. She has worked in operating theatres and hospitals as well and has very good experience in the medical field.Last October, after a preiod in her life when ill health, insomnia and relationship difficulties with her kids became particularly bad, she consumed a bit too much alcohol combined with 2 sleeping tablets one evening at home. (FYI we had only just met and I was away on business). After calling to speak with her, one of her kids went to find her and found her unresponsive in her bed. I advised on the phone to call an ambulance straight away, which they did and thankfully the paramedics were able to rouse her quickly afterwards. Everything was fine apart from my girlfriend being intoxicated and slurring her words.In a slightly aggresive manner, the paramedics demanded to know what she had taken that evening but my girlfriend couldn't easily recall immediately what precisely she had taken. One of the paramedics questioned her 12 year old daughter about where Mummy keeps her meds and whilst not really knowing, did recall Mummy had an 'Odds n Sods' basket in the kitchen which may contain some different types of pills.The basket was kept out of the children's reach on top of a kitchen unit and contained about a dozen different meds, 3 pill bottles prescribed by my girlfriend for her clients, the others were mainly prescribed for her, her ex partner and kids for various ailments by her local doctors and hospitals. 1 bottle had no labelling on it. The 3 meds prescribed by my girlfriend for her clients had been ordered prior to treatments undertaken as a precaution, but had never been used/given to her clients.Upon discovering the basket, the paramedics became increasingly hostile, demanding to know why she had these meds and ended up accusing her of prescribing medications in other peoples names fraudulently and then consuming them afterwards herself. This was crazy because 2 of the prescriptions were for antibiotics, the other being for water retention.Afterwards, they wouldn't leave her alone until she agreed to go to hospital with them and after an hour of 'persuasion' she was admitted to the local hospital on the grounds of a suspected overdose. It is worth noting that my girlfriend was conscious all the way through this. Shortly, after being admitted she was confronted with the basket of meds by a senior nurse who demanded to know why she had meds prescribed for other people. The paramedics without her consent or knowledge had brought the basket to the hospital with them.My girlfriend was told that the hospital were confiscating all the meds, including the ones for family members etc and were going to report the whole incident to My Girlfriend's professional body the NMC, even though she was a patient in the hospital and not a member of staff. To this day none of the meds were ever returned.The paramedics in their notes claimed my girlfriend had confessed in her bedroom that she had been taking medications that she had prescribed for her patients and then not given to them, but she emphatically does not recall any conversation along these lines in her impaired state whatsoever. I believe she may have been trying to describe that she had taken 2 sleeping pills (given to her by her mother that day incidentally) and somehow their wires became crossed, with the paramedics getting the wrong end of the stick.FYI, my girlfriend is now facing misconduct charges from her professional body the NMC.I would like your opinion on whether you believe a paramedic has the right to firstly, confiscate without knowledge or consent, the basket of medications from my girlfriend's house.Secondly, I would like your opinion of the paramedics submitting written evidence to her professional body claiming that my girlfriend admitted charges to them of taking meds belonging to her clients (incidentally there is not one shred of proof of this) whilst in a severely intoxicated state in her bedroom.There are other charges she is facing but surely the NMC are on shaky ground legally with regards ***** ***** 2 points?I look forward to hearing from youBest RegardsIain
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
in short, they found pills at her address that she had prescribed to others?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that's right..
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Well, that is a problem.
How did they come to be there?
Of course, she shouldn't be prescribing medication and not giving it to clients for lots of reasons.