Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Simon, I was wondering if you could please help me. My niece

Customer Question

Hi Simon, I was wondering if you could please help me. My niece who now lives overseas carrier out about £5,000 of identity theft against myself and my sister in law about 3 years ago now. I managed to get everything sorted out from my side with the companies and credit agencies. For whatever reason my sister in law was unable to and has just filed a complaint with the police putting y husband and I as suspects without any warning. The police came to the house yesterday and asked us to attend interviews on Monday. I am not sure what to expect or what to do? Thanks Emma
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Are you asking if you have to attend?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HiWe will obviously attend however I am not sure what to expect and as we have not caused the problems I am a bit concerned to why we have been implicated other than the bank account my niece used to use was in my name as she came to live with us overseas.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
from overseas sorry.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Well, I imagine they are saying that they do not believe it is a case of identity theft. It is difficult to say really on this information. They will not tell you their case in advance. They will be responding to your sister in law's complaint whatever that may be.
In terms of what to expect, they shouldn't really arrest you. You have attended voluntarily. It should just be a simple interview.
Do not refuse the solicitor you will be offered. It would be better to take one with you actually in advance.
I think you really have to answer questions in interview given your defence and the nature of the allegation.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if they do not see it as identity theft what else can they be looking at. It worries me immensely, I have never been in a situation like this and I was 3 disabled children, the thought of getting caught up in synth if terrifies me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have, sorry I have a new phone and bricks for fingers
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Well, it depends what your sister in law has alleged. It is impossible to tell in advance. I would imagine she is saying that you were responsible for the fraud.