Alex J.
Alex J., Litigator
Experience:  LLB, LPC, DELF
13113900

Hope you can help with some guidance, on an issue which we

Customer Question

hope you can help with some guidance, on an issue which we are dealing with.
In 2008 my company licenced over 1000 photos from our archive to a UK publisher for use in a specific series of books. The publisher was taken over and absorbed in 2013 with their brand being closed and all the backlist re-branded under the new owners imprint.
We discovered that all of the content previously licenced under heavily discounted rates was being re-issued by a company with whom we had no commercial relations and who would not have been offered these terms.
The company has resisted calls to renew the licences and also will not supply proof that they have any licences to include this content.
What are my options?
I want to resolve this but as I don't have a sensible recognition that there is an issue it seems very difficult.
From my perspective, if I went in to quire a publisher I would not assume that IP licensed to them was novatable to my imprint.
Many Thanks
Alex Goldberg
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. Did the licence say it was not assignable? Kind regards AJ