Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  LLB (HONS) Over 23 years legal experience specialising in Property law and Wills/Estates
16368554

An uncle has died, s widow has said that he ha left a legacy

Customer Question

an uncle has died, his widow has said that he ha left a legacy to my daughter when she is 23 (in 5 years time). I wish to ensure my daughter gets her money and would like to know how we regester an intrest in the estate or if this will be done automatically by the deceased solicitor.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer.
My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.
It is up to the Executor(s) named in the Will to invest the money on behalf of your Daughter until she reaches 23.
Depending on the value of the legacy, this may well just be placed in a Building Society account.
Accordingly, the Executor(s) should notify you/your Daughter that this is being done.
I'm afraid there is no official way of registering this interest- it is purely down to the Executor(s) to carry out the wishes of the deceased and if they do not comply, your Daughter, as beneficiary, would be entitled to sue the Executor(s)!
I hope this assists and sets out the legal position.
Kind Regards
Al