Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

Ben, I have recently found a gps tracker attached under my

Customer Question

Hi Ben,I have recently found a gps tracker attached under my car by my ex girlfriend. Was wondering if that legal under UK law.Many Thanks,
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.
The starting point is that yes, it is legal to fit trackers to vehicles and this is a service which one may get from a number of private investigator firms or just it personally. Saying that there are circumstances when potential breaches of the law may occur and this depends on the circumstances.
For example, the gathering of personal data which may identify an individual will be subject to rules under the Data Protection Act 1998. Tracking a vehicle will most likely involve the processing of personal data. All private investigators or any individual who wishes to gather personal data must be registered with the Information Commissioner’s Office and have a DPA number. It is a criminal offence to process data and not have a DPA number. SO you may wish to check whether this is the case here.
It also depend son how the tracker was fitted. Did they have to come onto your land to do so because of that was the case then the tort of trespass may have been committed, which is a civil offence.
Then there is harassment – once you become aware of the tracker and wish for it to stop, but the surveillance continues, then that could amount to harassment. However, if the tracker is removed and there is no further surveillance going on then that is unlikely.
So in general it would be a legal activity, depending on how it was done and if some of the rules mentioned above have been adhered to.
I trust this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page). If for any reason you are unhappy with my response or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? If your query has been dealt with please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. If you need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you.