Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I was notified that my car had been parked in a space

Customer Question

I was notified that my car had been parked in a space reserved for "disabled" drivers. the ticket correctly stated my licence plate details, but gave the colour of the car as "black" (it's blue, both in reality and on the DVLA registration sheet), and my Tax Disc as "Expiry" (it is still valid, expiring end-August).
Thus the vehicle has been incorrectly identified. Must I pay?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Do you dispute the allegation?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, but the identification is incorrect
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry but it is not.
The colour is a non issue. Blue might be mistaken for black and anyway if the number plate is yours then it is game over.
The tax disc is the best point but all they will say is that that is an error.
Further they will almost certainly have photographs of the vehicle which tends to bring an end to these challenges. The days before photography used to open up more possibilities.
If this is a council fine then you can always put them to proof. Often they do neglect to prepare correctly and sometimes succeed but they can very definitely establish that the car is correct if they have a number plate.
I'm very sorry but that is your position.
can I clarify anything for you?
Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jo, you look like a lovely lady, but I'd hate to face you in court. I'll pay my fine - it isn't very much; I just don't like accepting authority, but I think I've lost this one.
I'm sure we'll talk again, I'm always getting into petty disputes (I have causes!). You take care, and I hope you're a Liverpool supporter.
:)
Dr ***** *****
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
HAHAH!
I do understand and sometimes you do win if you put the council to prove but the risk is that fines can increase on appeal.