Jenny Mackenzie
Jenny Mackenzie,
Experience:  Over 10 years experience in general legal matters
32019188

My conwersations at work was recording by one of factory

Customer Question

Hello.
My conwersations at work was recording by one of factory worker.
She admitted she was doing that since jun 2014.
She is still working for the company and i company using those recording against myself and my co-workers. Any idea what I should do?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jenny Mackenzie replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. What action is your employer seeking to take against you and how long have you worked there for?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Morning Jenny.
I start working for a company in August 2009.
I discovered one of staff members have a recording devices in the office. That was imidetly reported to shift manager and she was suspended pending discyplinary action.
After 3 weeks she come back to work. And two days ago i was interviewed with regards ***** ***** I and fellow Supervisors was aware that member of my team was on holiday whilist reporting sick. This information quite cleary come from the recirding devices. They acted upon information that was illegaly and immorally gained. They also failed to prowide me with copies of the tapes or manuscripts that they have in posesion.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They also failed to inform my cnwersations was illigaly recorded.
No one from the mamagment or H.R talk to me about this situation. They just start ivestigate things that happened 6 months ago.
have they now taken disciplinary action against you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
It will be difficult to take action against the employee as you can only bring a claim in law against a person if you suffer a loss as a result of that person's actions.
At the moment, whilst you are undergoing a hard time at work and this is unfair you have not suffered a financial loss and even if you did , for example, if you were dismissed you cannot say the cause of that is her actions.
Your better cause of action is to raise a grievance against the employer to say that this information came to light as a result of a person's covert monitoring and is in breach of Data Protection Act. In addition it is unfair for them to take action against you if you do not have access to all of the information. At the very least you should be provided with a transcript of the recordings otherwise you cannot defend yourself properly. This would render any disciplinary action unfair.
If you have any further questions please do ask. IF I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Much appreciated Jenny.
Thanks for yours advice.
No problem, I would be grateful if you would kindly rate my answer as I am not otherwise credited for the time I have spent answering your question.
Thanks you and all the best with it.