Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

Iv been summons to court under the railway act 1889 5 (3)

Customer Question

Hi, iv been summons to court under the railway act 1889 5 (3) (a). It's my 2nd offence so this is mainly why iv been taken to court I would have thought. 1st incident I paid the fine and that was it. All I did was board at a unmanned station and got off at the next station which was also unmanned and they were there. This incident that the case is about is a completely different scenario where by I boarded the train and got off at a station where I queued for a ticket and asked for a weekly from the station after the one I got on. (They had inspectors on the station I said I come from and they were providing a blank ticket to proof you had come from there in which I didn't have). The reason I said this station was because I knew I was going to be there for the rest of the week and the reason I got on the station before it was because I had to drop my daughter off to nursery and traffic was to much for me to get to the other station but I would be there for the remainder of the week as my daughter doesn't go to nursery everyday. This is the truth but they pulled me up on it. Reading the 3 points relating to this law
(a)Travels or attempts to travel on a railway without having previously paid his fare, and with intent to avoid payment thereof; or
(b)Having paid his fare for a certain distance, knowingly and wilfully proceeds by train beyond that distance without previously paying the additional fare for the additional distance, and with intent to avoid payment thereof; or
(c)Having failed to pay his fare, gives in reply to a request by an officer of a railway company a false name or address,
Reference to point a) I wasn't intending to avoid payment as I queued up to get a ticket and I wasn't given the opportunity to purchase the correct one
B) I hadn't paid for the fare so this isn't valid and as I said I wasn't given the oportunity too
C) N/A as iv provided legit details
Sorry for the length of this but your input would be appreciated.
Thanks
Jon
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
What would you like to know about this please?