Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I bought a car in my name and allowed my girlfriend to drive

Customer Question

I bought a car in my name and allowed my girlfriend to drive it for the last year. We have since broken up. She is currently locking the car steering wheel to the door to prevent me accessing and moving the car, but I believe the car is mine. Do I have rights to the vehicle? I purchased the car outright with a credit card and can prove it. My name is ***** ***** name on the V5. She is now claiming the car was a gift and she bought a personalised plate for the car a few months ago. I have just stopped paying the car insurance on the vehicle, but she has recently set up her own car insurance. Can I legally remove the lock and reclaim my car?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
If you are the registered keeper then you have the right to possession of the vehicle.
If she thinks she has a claim against you as this is a gift then she can sue. Please do not worry. That will get nowhere.
That said, make sure you have a witness in your dealings with her. She will only suddenly remember you in a hood chanting satanic verses after having been on the internet reading twaddle about domestic abuse. Do not place yourself at risk.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply. As she has been driving the car for the last few months is she the registered keeper? I'm worried she'll try to report me as stealing my car since she has been driving it.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Who is the car registered to at the DVLA?
In who's name is ***** *****?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** v5 and registered at the dvla.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Then you are the registered keeper. In fact you could report her to the police although they would probably just tell her to return it.