Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

My mother has a tied accommodation with her job, and has had

Customer Question

My mother has a tied accommodation with her job, and has had this job since 1978 and works as a retail manager. The past few months she has been off sick and has been told the shop she manages is to close and received a letter saying she has to vacate the property she lives in before 31st August. She has not had in writing where they are going to offer a new post or any indication if they will provide her with new accommodation. Her contract doesn't mention the accommodation but it has also been associated as part of her pay. Can they do this to her?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. can you tell me have they offered a redundancy package.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No they haven't offered one, they have asked if what she wants to do when she goes back go work but there hasn't been anything in writing for this. They haven't discussed with her an alternative job at a different location
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that information please leave this with me and I will get my advice ready for you on how to proceed with this. I will get back to you later this evening. There is no need to wait on here I will email you when ready regards Ben.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks for your patience. When an employee is provided with accommodation by their employer, there are two possible ways in which they could be allowed to occupy the property:· Under a tenancy· Under a licence to occupy The most common way would be to grant the employee a licence to occupy. Unless there was a formal tenancy agreement in place, or the occupier was granted exclusive possession of the property for a term in return for rent, it is assumed that a licence to occupy would have been granted. In the absence of anything in the contract, the following assumptions can be made: if the employer wishes to remove the employee from the property they may only do so when the licence to occupy ends, which will occur in the following circumstances:{C}· If the employment contract ends;{C}· If the employee voluntarily leaves the property; or{C}· If the employer gives at least 4 weeks' notice. Therefore, if the contract is terminated, the licence to occupy will terminate as soon as the contract ends. In any other case, the employer would be expected to give at least 4 weeks' notice because a licensee who occupies a property as a dwelling is entitled to that notice under Section 5 of the Protection from Eviction Act 1977. I trust this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page). If for any reason you are unhappy with my response or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? If your query has been dealt with please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. If you need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you.