Clare
Clare, Solicitor
Experience:  family solictor with 25 years experience
13262538

My mum has died,leaving myself and 2 sisters as both executors

Customer Question

Hi
My mum has died,leaving myself and 2 sisters as both executors and beneficiaries. no one else is name as executor or beneficiary. Mum died in Cambridgeshire where 1 sister lives, my other sister is in Hampshire, while I live in Singapore.
Initially the solicitor advised that myself and the Hampshire sister reserve power, but I would like to be involved and so I have now been advised to give my power of attorney to another solicitor within the same office.
My sister is now upset as she thinks I don't trust her.
My question is
i. If I reserve power, are the solicitors, or my sister, obliged to keep me informed at every step, or is appointing power of attorney a better way of ensuring that I am kept informed?
ii. if I reserve power, but then reinstate my executorship, will it cause a delay, or will working with a power of attorney, in the same building as the main solicitor, cause any slowing down of the process?
Thank you.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Who advised you to use a Power of Attorney?
Clare
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi
The solicitor who my Mum chose to write her will and who is dealing with her estate.
Victoria
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Hi
It is hard to see how this will change anything and frankly it will simply massively increase your costs.
May I ask what your principal concern is?
Clare
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have 2 concerns. Firstly I want to be informed about everything that is happening, as my Mum wanted, despite living in Singapore. Secondly my sister who lives locally has different ideas about what it right and can't see that my ideas can also be right, so I don't entirely trust her to make the decisions without my input.
Victoria
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The solicitor has also said that the costs will barely change as the power of attourney will be with a solucitor in the ssme practice and building.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Hi
What decisions are you referring to?
Clare
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Details are not important, we just have different ideas and so I want to be kept informed by the solicitor, basically being cc'd on each correspondance would be enough.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Hi
As an Executor there will be many forms to sign - hence the rather odd suggestion that you use a Power of Attorney.
Taking that route will indeed ensure that you see everything - it will have to be copied to you then you will have to authorise your Attorney to sign the relevant documents - there will be a built in delay.
You can reserve power on the basis that you are get copies of everything - and there need be no delay if you chose to exercise the Power in the event that there is a major issue on which divergent decisions could be made
Please ask if you need further details
Clare