Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

I've been accused of criminal damage in kicking a windscreen

Customer Question

Hi I've been accused of criminal damage in kicking a windscreen causing a 10inch crack, in a specific location, the accuser gave my number to the police where they tracked my address.
I was called into the police station to give a statement. I denied the allegations and told the police I was not in the location. But then got called in again because due to the night of the incident I also called the police which using my number which they tracked me down on. I called the police the same night and told them someone is Thretening to kill me! I was extremely intoxicated that night and was mumbeling when talking to the police over the phone. So when police asked me where I was I stated the address of where the incident occurred that night.
When I was called into the interview, and police asked me if it was me who called the police that night of the windscreen incident to report a death threat I said yes it was me due to my contact number appearing.
Now apparently I stated over the phone when police asked me where My location was I stated the location of the incident. When the police tried to attend to me They realised it was a wrong address given.
At the time of the interview police said my telephone call places me at the scene of the incident, but I told them I was not there and I called the police to say someone is making threats to kill me at the address of the incident. And that I was in distress and highly intoxicated so when the police asked me where I was, I thought they meant where is the person making the the threats so I stated the address.
I did not admit to the allegation although the telephone call I made that night whilst intoxicated places me at the scene,
I denied all allegations but police said they will reviews the case and get back to me! I am extremely worried and scared to loose my job.
The persons windscreen was payed for by a mutual friend the next day. But the person bitter and decided to call police to press charges.
She has no evidence, but the phone call I made to police whilst scared and drunk states I was there but at the interview I said I was intoxicated at the time of the phone call and scared for my life so when police asked me where I was, i thought they asked me where is the person making threats. I hope this makes sense
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
What would you like to know about this please?