Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate
Experience:  Award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
27487359

Seems I have a problem like another customer... paid a deposit to a double glazin

Customer Question

hello... seems I have a problem like another customer... paid a deposit to a double glazing company, they should be here tomorrow and they left a message after the office closed to say they won't be here tomorrow but will be here Friday.. its a 2 day job which means they will need to be here Saturday, we need electricians on site to help with the work, I can't see this happening plus we are not around on Saturday as we have my granddaughter visiting ... I want to cancel, I have lost all confidence in them, especially after reading reviews now
We paid a deposit of £1500 by building society cheque ... the balance of £4500 on interest free credit which gets paid when we sign to say we are satisfied with the job... I didn't have any other quotes, they badgered us to sign. Since then I have found I could have got a company with a better reputation to do the job for less than half the price... its only a replacement conservatory roof... What are my rights
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.
When and where was the contract made and were they made to measure?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The contract was signed at my home when 2 salesmen came to give a quote only. They were very convincing and yes the roof is being made to measure . I signed the contract on 9th June 2015 , the surveyor came the same week and the company wanted to fit on 10th July but as it was the little ones birthday, we asked for a different date. We mutually agreed 23rd July. It was to be a one day job..when the paperwork arrived 2 weeks ago, it stated it was a 2 day job. I rang the company to query this, I was assured it would be 2 days but we would not be left without a roof on the conservatory overnight. Initially the surveyor told me they would remove the old roof in the morning, then come back after lunch to it the new roof all in one day. I am very concerned that I have had to cancel my doctor appointment for Friday 24th to accommodate the revision to their initial job plan, they are aware of that as I explained to the lady on the phone if she was sure it would be 2 days, I would need to rearrange my appointment. We all know how difficult it is to get appointments with GP's .. I also have my son, my daughter in law and my grandchildren coming to stay on Saturday, so if they start work on Friday, it is going to be mayhem. I have all the conservatory furniture etc dotted around the house and spare room ... I am so annoyed about this... The person who arranges things rang me just this morning to say they would be here between 9-9.30am tomorrow morning (thursday) It was a gentleman who left a garbled message on the home answer phone after the company had closed so I didn't even have opportunity to speak to anyone.
I see. Your rights when buying double glazing will depend on whether you buy windows that have been made to measure for your home, or are a ‘standard size’. Under the Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013, you have to be given a minimum of 14-days as a cooling-off period. However, this only applies if you enter into a contract away from the company's premises (e.g. in your own home, as in this case). However you signed the contract on 9th June and as such the 14 days have now passed. In addition there will not be an automatic right to cancel where the windows are to be made to measure and/or custom made to your specific requirements and chosen options.The fact that they have changed the date will not of itself be grounds I am afraid to cancel the contract. The court would consider that this change is reasonable; equally the fact that you can get the work undertaken cheaper elsewhere or with a better reputation is also not grounds to rescind the contract. I hope this helps. Please remember to rate
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure what you are saying, I have spoken with the company this morning and apparently the lady who rang yesterday is "on holiday" but the first person I spoke with told me she was in and would put me straight through, I got put through to a man called Shaun who told me he was only the under manager and I should speak to Greg, the buildings manager but Greg wasn't in and they would leave a message for him to call me back. He reiterated that they had been running behind on jobs, had run into several problems on their previous jobs but they will put two teams on to do the job here tomorrow to try to make sure it doesn't run over into next week... !! I can't have the job run over, I have guests coming Saturday. I have paid a deposit of £1500 on the replacement roof, the balance is £4500 to be paid on interest free credit which will only be released by Barclays if I am satisfied with the job. Such is my concern about the operations, standards and reliability of this company, I am of a mind to cancel and therefore the job would not be completed. If we don't have the work completed, therefore don't sign for the bank to release the monies , where would I stand legally?
I am afraid that you would be in breach of contract as you have entered into a contract with them for the work to be undertaken.