Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

My wife is threatening me with a domestic violence

Customer Question

hello,
My wife is threatening me with a domestic violence case after we had an argument and I twisted her index finger in anger after she was continuously poking it in my face.
My question is , if she goes ahead with the case, will I be charged for it or not?
There was no witness to it and she just had minor bruising on the finger as told by the doctor.
Please help.
Regards,
Ryan
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
I'm really sorry but you probably will. There is no way around it. This is an assault. I do understand that the reality of relationships is that we all have these disputes that turn into minor acts of combat but most of us have relationships with sensible people who don't get the police involved.Since you admit the offence they might offer a caution. However, they are not likely to ignore it completely as they would if I made policy. If I made policy, for what it is worth, we would pick the whole issue of domestic abuse up and drop it down in the family court as it is nothing more than people using the police to mediate their relationship issues.I'm very sorry.Can I clarify anything for you?Jo