Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate
Experience:  Award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
27487359

We are involved in boundary dispute with a neighbouring land owner. We have been in cor

Customer Question

We are involved in boundary dispute with a neighbouring land owner.
We have been in correspondence for six months.
Today we received a letter from their solicitor with a copy of a Notice of Hearing from the County Court at Central London
The Notice of Hearing is dated 17th July 2015
The letter is dated 20th July 2015
The letter arrived today 21st July 2015
The hearing is listed for 27th July 2015
The final day for submitting bundles is three working days before the hearing, therefore 22nd July.
This is clearly impractical for a lay person to comply with.
Q1 – Is the shortness of the notice grounds for an application for an adjournment?
Q2 – If not, are there other grounds on which we can seek and adjournment?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.
I would have thought that this was some clerical error by the court. It is usually sufficient grounds for an adjournment. I would recommend that you contact both the court and the others side first thing in the morning and seek an adjournment. These are the best grounds, unless you are on holiday (and can prove with flight details etc). Please rate
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry - that does not make sense.
which part?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
These are the best grounds, unless you are on holiday (and can prove with flight details etc).
I get you. The best grounds for an adjournment is that you only just received the order and have not got enough time to prepare, get a solicitor. Such cases need to be fair and you can advance that your Art 6 rights mean you need sufficient time to get advise and prepare. You asked about other reasons to adjourn. If you are away when the hearing is listed that would be grounds - but you would need to prove this with valid flight tickets etc (bought before the hearing was listed). I hope that makes sense. Please rate
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What are our grounds for requesting an adjournment?What is the procedure?How do we communicate with the Claimant and the Court – phone email etc.Do we need to submit a form to the court, if so which one?
I would suggest in the first instance you contact the other side and see if this can be done with agreement. There is a form - N244 - you would ask the court to deal with the adjournment without the need for a hearing.
Please remember to rate positively