Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

My father passed away earlier this year. The local council

Customer Question

My father passed away earlier this year. The local council dealt with funeral arrangements and retrieved the money from his estate. There is a small sum remaining of around £4000. I am one of his 4 children, he did not leave a will. I was wondering how to go about having this money distributed equally between all of his children. We live in Scotland but my father lived in England
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.
If the debts have been paid and there is no one else who has an entitlement then you would normally just distribute the estate between the four of you. The fact is that where the estate is less than £5,000 – probate isn’t usually needed. In this case, you should write to the bank, building society, or the organisation holding the money.