Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

We are having trouble with our executor who is also a divorce

Customer Question

Hi we are having trouble with our executor who is also a divorce lawyer. long story short, It has taken 6 years, 2 Ombudsman's complaints, our own solicitor, and still he will not show us the estate accounts. The ombudsman said it was not their place to ask him to produce the accounts. He said we would receive full accounts with invoice etc when we were going through the second ombudsman complaint. Now He has sent us a draft copy with hours worked but no detail of what he did, and there are dividends missing. He says that he has a system that generated the bills automatically from time ledger records and the ledgers clearly show the bill number, date, cost etc. But not what they are for. He as executor has signed them off. Do my sister and I have rights to see these accounts in full So we may challenge his costs due to poor administration. Which is what we have recently asked him. He really has done an awful job. Can he deny us the full estate account and files?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Did he send you details of his charging rate and policy at the start of the matter?
Clare
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Clare.
No he did not, he says that we are not clients of the firm it is my mother and the estate that is. it was my mother who met with him in !994.I don't know if they discussed it then, but it's not written in the will either.
Thanks very much for your help
Lisa
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Clare,
I'm ever so sorry I forgot to ask
As he is only giving us a draft accounts, do we have a right to the files on this case? I really don't think he's ever going to send us the full estate accounts.
Thanks again
Lisa