Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate
Experience:  Award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
27487359

Ive been awarded a settlement re an inheritance provision

Customer Question

hi - ive been awarded a settlement re an inheritance provision claim on my late husband's estate (he died nearly two yrs ago) but the estate trustees havent paid the amount and are in breach of the court order. inbetween the settlement being agreed and the final court date i started dating and around the time of the final court date (after two months of dating) put a relationship status on my facebook page. the person had been very supportive of my legal issues and i felt we were properly dating. im worried that the trustees are preparing an appeal based on the fact that my original statement said i wasnt in a relationship. do i need to be worried. we are not living together and in fact my boyfriend is currently looking for a new house just for himself and his children rather than any talk of us living together. it really is just dating at the moment. any thoughts appreciated. thanks kate
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.
Am I right that you did not mislead in your statement
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I didn't. At the time of the statement I was completely single. The high court hearing was delayed and then adjourned and during that time I started dating someone. The relationship was only a few weeks old by the time the case was heard and the statements had all been submitted a couple of months prior.
when was the order made? Was it made by agreement?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The order was made on the 2nd June as a "compromise" global settlement type of agreement. Since first contacting you it seems that the executor's solicitors are taking the blame for the breach (someone being on holiday) but they were quite circumspect about that explanation. I still don't feel comfortable about what's happening. My own solicitors have said that they don't feel the fact that I'm in a relationship affects anything in the slightest. Still unsure.... any thoughts?
I would actually agree with your solicitors from what you have written. The fact that it was made as a compromise agreement between the parties and no one was being mislead rather suggests that this was an agreement entered into openly by all parties. Further the time for appealing has now technically passed. I hope this helps. Please remember to rate positively.