Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

Data Protection Act - When I last looked, some time ago now

Customer Question

Data Protection Act - When I last looked, some time ago now and on the old ICO website, I found guidance that said private member clubs weren't within the scope of the DPA but can no longer find it. Has life changed? I'm membership secretary of a private yacht club and follow the principles but have not registered. Nick
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 1 year ago.
If you are a not for profit organisation and only process data fro membership purposes then you will not be required to register. If you go onto the ICO website and use their self assessment tool it will give you the info you need. See here https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/register/self-assessment/