Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

The police want me to come into the station to admit charges

Customer Question

The police want me to come into the station to admit charges of importing a class A substance. I ordered some truffles online from a site for delivery to my home and I wasn't even aware they were illegal. I have told them this but they said that is no defence and I should come in - admit it and get the caution. But a caution is a conviction and I could lose my job. It was only a very small amount.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
How can I help with this please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't think I should be admitting a crime I didn't know I was committing. I bought a small amount of Truffles for personal use from thiis website www.trufflemagic.com - and they want me to admit to importing a class A substance. But I wasn't aware this was a class A substance and certainly didn't think ordering something from a legitimate looking site online could be classed as importing something.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Ok.
So what would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Where I stand legally and what I should do.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry but I'm not going to be able to give you good news.
The point you are making is that you didn't know the law. That may well be true but is no defence. I would never advise taking legal advice from a police officer but on this particular point they are correct. Ignorance of the law is no defence.
You knew what you had ordered. If you had thought you were ordering another item then that would be different.
Take the caution. They will only charge you and send you to court if you don't and then you will be convicted.
I'm very sorry.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

http://www.justanswer.com/uk-law/3ziyt-charged-improper-importation-magic-truffles.html#re.v/185/

Please check this- the legal expert on here said that according to the act covering this law you are only guilty if:

"which he knows or has reason to believe are liable to confiscation"

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
That answer is incorrect for the reasons above.