Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I have been stalked intimidated and harrassed by my neighbours,

Customer Question

hi i have been stalked intimidated and harrassed by my neighbours, the female head butted me but the camera was obstructed, she has threathend to kill me. the male has vidoe recorded me and followed me for month and threathend to kill me, it got that bad i moved house. i have a 18 month diary and around 20 police logs. 4 weeks ago the male followed me out of a pub and punched me in the face and then kicked me around 6 times in the head, i called the police they txt me saying call 101 tomorrow, i was taken to hospital, i have had my eye glued i have long term effects from concussion i have neuropthatic nerve damage in my head, i,m on medication. i am in constant pain and have had to give up my job. following my attack i was told by word of mouth i have a 12 month ban from all the pubs along with the attacker. i wrote a personal statement to 20 pubs saying a little bit about myself and asked them to review my ban. the police were at the meeting. now i have just been told my ban is ongoing pending medical records. how are the police allowed to discuss my case with pub landlords and discuss my medical records. is there anything i can do about the whole situation
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
The reason they are allowed to discuss the situation with pub landlords is that the police run a scheme with local landlords that effectively allows bars from one pub to be adopted by the others in the area. They are allowed to take into account relevant information held by the police which is usually that relating to a person's actions when in drink.
You cannot do anything about the pub bans. A publican is entitled to withdraw his invitation to any person to attend his premises.
I'm afraid there is no action realistically that can be taken against the police for discussing the matter with landlords.
In terms of complaining against the police, I would consider that very carefully before acting. On your account you are a victim and they have failed to investigate properly. The problem though is that probably they have an alternative explanation for this and if you complain about them and it comes to nothing then the entire force may well turn upon you. The police can be very good at harassing people who have complained about them and it is very difficult to prove that their actions are unlawful. I would never suggest to anybody making a complaint in these circumstances.
Sorry but I have to give you truthful information.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i feel that these pubs displaying my name is ***** ***** my charactor , i am on a banned list in 20 pubs in exmouth that is clearly seen from the bar. if i am the victom how can i be put on such a list that is publicaly displayed. i feel this could be detrimental to future job prospects and tarnishing my name as i am the victom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have never caused a distubance in any public place and have never been asked to leave any liciensed premises
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
That is not defamation I'm afraid. That is a statement of fact.
You can be banned for any reason.
I am really sorry to have to tell you this but I am imagine their view is that you are not a victim. That is the only way this makes sense. At least, clearly there was some form of incident because you do have injuries but that doesn't mean you were a victim and anyway even if you were that doesn't mean you cannot be barred. Whenever two people fight one person will always come off worse than the other in terms of injuries. That doesn't mean they were the victim and it certainly doesn't mean they were not perfectly willing to fight.
I suppose the other explanation that they might have is that they are concerned that you are provoking others verbally. Obviously I cannot say what is in their mind.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they say the ban is pending awaiting medical records and they dont want to antagonize the guy any more by banning him and not me, he is seen following me out the pub on cctv then seen going back in
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
That tends to suggest they have formed the view that you were the aggressor.
That view might be wrong. Pubs are not trials of issue. They can ban people for any reason they like even incorrect ones. They don't have to be fair.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it seems like i just have to await the outcome of the cps once the police have my medical records
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, and they may not lift the ban even then.
Pubs can be very unfair. They do often ban people otherwise than those who are convicted.
I'm very sorry.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
and just to be clear it wasnt a fight. i was attacked. there is a difference. also, you said the police are allowed to discuss my medical records with pub lanlords when relevant to a 'persons actions when in drink', the attack was not on licenced premises, my medical records of this attack have no relevance to pub lanlords. the attack was not on any of theyre premises!!!! so how is my medical records relevant and how can they be discussed and released publically? surely this is against data protection?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
There is a difference but I'm afraid that from their responses they do not accept that your account.
I also did not say that the police cannot discuss your medical records. They discuss any evidence in their possession or even intelligence relevant to a licensing ban.