Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Hii. I missed a bail appointment in Newcastle in November as

Customer Question

Hii. I missed a bail appointment in Newcastle in November as I moved back to Devon. My solicitor at the time attended as he was a duty solicitor and local. I heard nothing until 2 days ago when police went to my parents house to arrest me for "skipping". I'm due to go on holiday tomorrow to Spain - will I be stopped?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Is this police bail or court bail?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was police bail.Thanks
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
There is a risk that you could be to be wholly honest. It is not guaranteed.
The police do not always pursue people for breaches but clearly they are here. There must be a warrant out for your arrest if they have attended to arrest you.
Whether they would execute it at the airport or not is another matter. They are not always efficient but it is possible that they could.
If it were court bail then you certainly would.
I'm very sorry but that is your position.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the reply. Do you have any advice on the best cottage of action? Clearly I don't want to be arrested at the airport but does it flag up on my passport when it's scanned? I'm only gone for 5 days. I'm still not entirely sure why I'm down as someone who's "skipped" bail? My duty solicitor at the time was at the police station knowing that I'd lost my job and car so was unable to attend 400 miles away. I also have the police officer dealing with me my telephone number and address if be staying at...?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
You are down as somebody who skipped bail because indeed you did. There is no way around it. You were due at a police station and you were not there. The fact that you were elsewhere is not reasonable excuse of itself.
It does flag up on passports I'm afraid. Whether or not they will have done that is another matter.
I would mention that you were unable to attend 400 miles away. It is your responsibility to attend and being 400 miles away does not mean you cannot attend. If you are charged, you don't want to be remanded in custody which is where people who make points like that to the police tend to end up.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do understand what you're saying but I have correspond abc from my solicitor who is saying that they will attend the bail for me as with no car, no job and having to move back home, it was impossible to get there. I did make many attempts to try and get it switched to a local police station but heard nothing from the police? Do you have any advice on the best course of action? If I hand myself in today in Exeter are they going to hold me overnight and transport me to Newcastle in the morning? Or should I call them and see if it is indeed ok to fly tomorrow and be back in the country on Monday?Kind regards,
Liam
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
A solicitor cannot attend bail for you. You are subject to bail not him.
I'm not really sure there are any risk free options. If you hand yourself in then they will almost certainly transfer you to Newcastle or at least that risk exists.
However, if you leave the country then there are aggravating features in that and I cannot suggest that you flee the jurisdiction while you are wanted on warrant. I realise the reality of having warrants outstanding and I know people hand themselves in on an occasion that suits them generally but that doesn't change the legal position.