Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I've been caught shoplifting in Homesense and they tell

Customer Question

Hi, I've been caught shoplifting in Homesense and they tell me that I need to pay RLP. If I failed to do so, they will banned me from going out UK as I tell them I am going to Paris on Monday 29/6. Is that possible for them to banned me? They even took my Vietnam house address.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
The store cannot ban you from leaving the UK but they could make a report to the police who could put you on bail with conditions not to leave the UK.
They could also make a report to immigration if that is relevant here.
If you have no previous convictions then it is quite unlikely that would happen but it could.
They can ban you from the store and sue for RLP though.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Which mean they can report this case to the police or even the immigration? And can I know what is the purpose for them to write down my Vietnam house address? will they do anything on it?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Yes.
I cannot say why they have taken your address but probably either to sue or make a report.
This is theft shoplifting which is a crime so they very definitely can act and they will.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. It is necessary to pay the RLP? If I cant afford to pay the cost that they'd incured, any option do i have? I realise that I am wrong stealing stuff in Tkmaxx, but will it be so serious till they need to report to the immigration to banned me out of UK or sue me in court?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No. They could sue but they would get a much lesser sum.
The issue here though is that they could make an allegation if you don't. But then they may do that anyway.