Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

I have a caution which was given to me in October

Customer Question

I have a caution which was given to me in October 2013 under section 4 of the POA. I am pretty certain when I researched the situation at the time (before accepting the caution), my conclusion was that this would NOT show in a standard DBS (previously CRB) but only an enhanced one.
Having researched the up-to-date situation, it seems to be the case that for 6 years from when the caution was given this would show on any DBS (even a standard one).
Could you please confirm if this is the case and what the situation is. Moreover, when employers ask the question of whether I have any unspent convictions or any convictions that are not protected, does this mean they will actually be undertaking a DBS or will it be made clear if they are doing a DBS?
Thank you
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you. The caution is spent immediately and will not appear on a standard DBS a check but is likely only to appear on an enhanced check. It is not a conviction - but the question asked by your employer does not make it clear whether they will do a DBS a search or not. I imagine it depends on the actual job you are applying for.