Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I have just received delivery of a leased car. I have used

Customer Question

i have just received delivery of a leased car. I have used the leasing company before. The previous vehicle i leased had a problem in that it was a deisel and very noisy. When I told them this they exchanged it for a quiEter petrol version. The new car is also a deisel, the salesman assuring me it wouldn't have any noise issues as it was a bigger car.However, the noise is very intrusive and I would like to change it. Can I do this on any terms other than goodwill?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Does the lease say anything on this point?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not that I can see.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Then that does really come down to goodwill.
You don't have a contractual right to a petrol car although I know deisel vehicles are noisy. Come what may there is no way around that.
You can negotiate with them. They are not likely to want to lose your business and they will have petrol vehicles available.
But the fact that this was previously done for you doesn't establish a principle I'm afraid.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo