Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

My bank cancelled a direct debit without my instruction- as

Customer Question

My bank cancelled a direct debit without my instruction- as a result my critical illness insurance policy was cancelled without my knowledge. When I was diagnosed with a critical illness I tried to put a claim through but found out I had no policy anymore. Can my bank be held responsible for this and my loss of my insurance claim and has there been any precedent set for this?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
Why was the direct debit cancelled? How many payments were missed before the policy was cancelled?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The bank has no reason as to why the direct debit was cancelled- when I first complained they denied that I ever had a direct debit through them to the insurance provider- I was then able to prove them wrong and that I did. The reason I didn't know my policy was lapsed was that I moved house and the letters did not reach me. An ombudsman ruled that the insurance provider was not in breach of their contact with me to have cancelled the policy. But as far as I am aware Barclays is unable to give any reason as to why the DD was cancelled. Do you know of any legal precedent that has been set in terms of a DD being cancelled without instruction- and it leading to the loss of an insurance claim?
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
I cannot find any cases dealing with this issue. I will opt out so another lawyer can have a look at this for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK- do I need to go through the process again or are you passing it on to someone else?