Clare
Clare, Solicitor
Experience:  family solictor with 25 years experience
13262538

My Mother is a self-funder in a Nursing Home,

Customer Question

Hi, my Mother is a self-funder in a Nursing Home, for 12 months ,. She gets the Nursing element paid to the Nursing Home. She has just sold her house and I (her daughter) am on her Enduring POA dated 2007. It is currently being 'registered' and I have a question about her outgoings..  She insists on gifting small amounts of money whenever she sees her grandchildren. Sometimes £10 , sometimes £50.. Also she has paid her Grandchildren travel expenses to and from College and for the two years they were there, she is currently paying by standing order £75 per month for her youngest granchild to travel to College. is this ok ? or will it be seen as deprivation of capital. She has Parkinsons and is 78 years old. We believe that her House Sale proceeds should keep her in this Nursing Home for approx 5 Years.

Category: UK Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Thank you for your question.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
Provided this is what your mother has always done - and you can prove it - then it cannot be treated as deprivation of capital
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This is what my Mother has been doing for the last two years. She has been in the Care home for 12 months now . I have all her Bank statements and will continue to keep them for her. There are so many conflicting bits of information on the Internet, regarding gifting as a self-funder, that there really ought to be somewhere official to obtain all the answers. Now I have paid the £33, could you provide me with some more detailed information regarding self-funding and what monies my Mother can happily use, without being accused of Depriving assets ?

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HiFor clarity - does your mother still have Mental Capacity?Clare