Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Jo I've received a no ASN required in the post. They have

Customer Question

Hi Jo I've received a no ASN required in the post. They have required me to appear in Leeds magistrates court.
I wasn't insured at the time of charge as wasn't aware it was an offence to own a motor vehicle without insurance so plead guilty. They did send a fixed penalty notice at the time but never paid it as I wasn't working. Not sure what to do and what the worst outcome will be? Fixed points or just a fine? Haven't sent the guilty plea off yet what should I do?
Hope you can help
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
You mean no insurance?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I really didn't want to have the courts involved can I just contact the D v l a and sort out this mater?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
thank you.
Is this driving without insurance or just failing to keep a vehicle insured?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It just states I was the uninsured keeper of the motor vehicle. I've never been stopped by police. It was just because the insurance payment didn't go through so insurance company cancelled. I've since got new insurance
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
This is just having a vehicle uninsured. The requirements changed recently. It used to be possible to keep a vehicle off-road and thereby escape the need for it to be insured but that changed recently. Now there is a duty to keep your vehicle insured evenness of road unless declared sawn.
The good news is though there is only carries a fine. This is not driving uninsured and so there is no risk of points or disqualification or any blemish on your licence.
The penalty will just be a fine and usually about £25 in court costs. Since this is a prosecution of the DVLA rather than CPS there should not be a victim surcharge either.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo