Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I'm a driving instructor and I have 6 penalty points on

Customer Question

Hi, I'm a driving instructor and I have 6 penalty points on my licence. The registrar has recently contacted me and said that I may be removed from the Driving Instructor Register and have a chance to explain my points. Can you please advise what is the best way to reply to this letter. Many thanks
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
How were they incurred?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The first fine was issued 2 years ago, it was in the early hours of the morning and I was driving home from holiday. I was over the speed limit by 10 mph and did not see the camera, the second incident happened last year I was doing 10 mph over the speed limit again, the roads were clear but I was rushing to get home due to my wife's chronic illness.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
This is obviously a question of policy rather than one of the law. They are not legally obliged to act against you but they do have a policy of removing instructors if they acquire more than six live points.
They should consider the mitigating features. The difficulty with mitigation is that you don't want to sound as though you are making excuses. There is a very great deal that can be said about the first incident except to emphasise the passing of time, the lateness of the hour and therefore absence of heavy traffic and any remorse that you feel. The second incident is more problematic. Although you do have the point that it was late at night and you were not much over the limit it is dangerous to argue that you were rushing home. It depends how you phrase it. You can always make the point that you were unusually distracted because of this circumstance as long as you make clear that you understand that speeding is unacceptable.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo