Clare
Clare, Solicitor
Experience:  family solictor with 25 years experience
13262538

My ex has unilaterally decided to half spouse maintenance.

Customer Question

My ex has unilaterally decided to half spouse maintenance. His income has gone down, so I accepted we would need to discuss but he has decided since his income is halved mine should too. He Is still employed but on UK terms rather than expat, hence the drop in salary but I think he may well be made redundant shortly . If he isn't, he will get another expatriate posting. I suggested therefore that while his job position is being resolved we should work on Form E financial disclosures with a view to negotiating once his job position was clarified. I felt he was better placed than me, since he has greater capital, to manage the cost. On the new figure he is paying I only just meet my bills not including food, clothing, petrol etc etc. I house two children(uni students so approx six months a year) he does not have them at all. He ignored and now owes me 5 months arrears. I filed for enforcement with a D50k and he has been called for questioning. I'd like, to know: will I have to answer questions? Is there any possibility he could last minute turn this hearing into an application for variation which I need to be prepared for? Can I ask him questions? Thanks
Category: UK Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Can someone please help? In summary: Do I attend a hearing? Can I ask questions, Will I be asked questions? Is there any risk a judgement hearing for judge to question my ex can become more than this? Thanks
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Thank you for your question.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
You should attend the hearing as it will assist you in ensuring that the right enforcement action is taken.
You may not need to ask any questions - unless you realise that there are arrears that need to be brought to the attention of the Judge.
Your ex can apply for a Downward Variation at the last minute but if he does then the hearing will be used to give directions for the way forward - when Forms E should be filed etc.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare