Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

I want to apply mum's permanent stay visa. she is in

Customer Question

I want to apply for my mum's permanent stay visa. she is in uk on visit visa. she is 70 years old separated . She lives by herself in Nigeria and as she is getting old, it is making life difficult.
My mother just arrived last week to the uk on a visitors visa and I would like to apply for the permanent stay in this country. I run my own retail business and my husband is a computer consultant. We have a 4 bedroom house so will be able to accommodate her. She is dependant on me financially.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.
Is your mother able to carry out normal day to day tasks without care (ie. washing cooking clearning etc)?
Kind regards,
Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Till recently yes. But unfortunately she is having problem with her eyesight which is having a profound effect on her. She had fallen down twice in the last two month.
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your reply.
Can you please let me know if you are a UK citizen? If not can you please let me know your immigration status in the UK?
Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am a uk citizen.
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
Unfortunately, there is quite a high threshold of adult dependent relatives to reach to be eligible for a visa in these circumstances.
Please refer to “Coming to be cared for - you’re an adult dependent relative” on the following link for an indication of the eligibility criteria:
https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk/eligibility
You will see that in order to apply the adult must require care because they cannot carry out day to day tasks. If they can carry out such tasks then they are not eligible for the visa.
Additioanlly, if they do require care but the care is available/affordable in their home country then they are also not eligible
If you consider that having regard to this that your mother still meets the eligibility criteria in order to ultimately make the application then I would suggest that you and your mother attend a local solicitor practising immigration law in order to have a fixed fee consultation with a view to instructing them in preparing the application and collating the supporting evidence with a view to making an application from her home country.
Because she is here on a visit visa she will have to return home in order to make the application, because all visit visas are subject to the requirement that a person must not stay longer than the visa period and this is taken to mean that they cannot switch to another visa category without leaving the UK,
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Tom