Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  LLB (HONS) Over 23 years legal experience specialising in Property law and Wills/Estates
16368554

My father died last august and apparently left everything to

Customer Question

My father died last august and apparently left everything to my mother. However, I was an executor but, following a family estrangement, my brother and sister were appointed as executors and now won't let me see the will. No probate was applied for as their assets were not substantial.
Is there any way i can apply for a copy of the will?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer.
My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.
I am afraid that a Will is a private document, and only the Executors and beneficiaries are entitled to see it.
A Will does become a public document, but only once Probate has been granted. I note this has not happened, although you can do a postal search at Leeds Probate Registry to double check if Probate has been granted.
Link is here- https://www.gov.uk/wills-probate-inheritance/searching-for-probate-records
(Sorry- you may have to copy and paste the above link).
If Probate has not been granted, then unfortunately you will not be able to obtain a copy of the Will unless you are offered a copy.
I'm sorry this is not the answer you were looking for, but it sets out the legal position.
Kind Regards
Al